DIY Earbud Cord Wrap

Earbud headphone cords are notorious for getting tangled.  You can prevent this by making the cord thicker.  I saw this example using embroidery thread.  They didn't have instructions, but since I used to be quite skilled at making friendship bracelets I tried to figure it out.

What you need:
Earbuds, embroidery thread, clipboard
You will need about 3 times the length of the earbuds in each color of the embroidery thread.  That's about 5 yards each, your average skein of thread is about 8.7 yards so that's plenty.  Start by tying the thread to the earbuds, I chose to start in the end that goes into my phone.  Just a regular old knot will do.

Since I couldn't pin it to my jeans like I used to with the bracelets, I decided to clip it to the clipboard.  Then started tying knots like you do in a Staircase Bracelet.

The first knot.

I tied 6 knots in each color and then moved onto the next color until I reached the point where the earbuds split.  I cut enough thread off the end to cover one earbud and taped that down to hold it in place leaving the ends up so they could be woven under the knots over the split.

I knotted over the ends as I continued to keep it cleaner.
After much debate in my head I decided to knot over the split and then I continued to knot down the earbud with the same threads I had been using.  Leaving the new thread taped to the other earbud


I continued the knotting until I reached the earbud.  Then I moved on to the other earbud and worked the knots until the volume buttons.  At that point I tied it off and picked it up again after the buttons.  I taped the thread to the cord to hold it in place.

Once again I left the ends out and knotted over them.
I continued knotting until I got to the earbud and finished by tying off.  I burnt the ends with a lighter to keep them from fraying. 

Final product:

Total Cost: 3 Embroidery Threads at $0.35 each = $1.05
Total Time: About 5 hours (while watching a movie and then a terrible football game)

Comments