How to Effie Trinket Cosplay

Just got back from Comic Con 2012.  This year I decided to join up with all the wonderful Cosplayers out there and went as Effie Trinket from the Hunger Games.  As I don't have very many sewing skills, nor a lot of money, I decided to try and hobble something together from thrift stores.  Here is the final look:
Effie Trinket - Hunger Games - Cosplay - Comic Con 2012
I know it is not an exact replica of her reaping outfit, but I must say everyone knew who I was.  Walking around the Con people were calling me Effie.  One girl ran across the room, just to hug me so I guess it worked.  For those of you who aren't familiar with The Hunger Games, here is what Elizabeth Banks portraying Effie looked like:

Elizabeth Banks as Effie Trinket and Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss
So, as you can see, my costume is more in the style of Effie than an exact copy.  The most difficult item to find was the shirt.  I searched all my local thrift stores to find a fuchsia, puffy-sleeved shirt.  Eventually I found this one that is lighter in color and the sleeves were not as puffy as I wanted.  I decided the color would be fine and added lots of tulle in the sleeves to get the puffier effect.  then I used a belt to give the cinched waist that she had.  After not finding the perfect skirt I ended up ordering this plum pencil skirt off of Amazon.

For the flowers around her neck, I bought a flower bouquet at the Dollar Store.  I cut the flowers off and sewed them to a thick piece of black ribbon that I made into a choker with a couple snaps.  I am terrible at sewing, so if I could achieve this then so can you.  For the flower in my hair I used some of the leftover tulle.  I twisted it around on itself and sewed it at the bottom to make a giant flower and bobby-pinned it to my hair.  Speaking of hair, I found a blond Marilyn Monroe wig, teased the hair to make it big and used pink hair spray to add color.   She has a lot less color in her hair than I do, so it's a personal preference on how much you want to add.

Now for the makeup.  Their are lots of tutorials online including this one, but the basics are white skin and cupid lips.  Here is a close-up on mine:

Effie Trinket cosplay makeup.
I used my regular foundation and a white clown powder over top of it.  Then I added fuchsia eye make up and dark lips.  In the center of my lips I added a touch of gold eye shadow. I am not good with fake eye lashes, but if I was I would have added them for effect.

For her nails I found a sparkly glitter nail polish and painted it over a fuchsia to look like this:

Effie Trinket nails
On Effie's feet are Alexander McQueen gold open toed bootie high heels and you can own them for only $1175.  Since I don't have that kind of money laying around I searched around my closet and decided to go with the brown buckle heels instead.  She also always wears ankle socks with her heels.  I found a pair of white ones in my closet.

The most important thing about Effie is the way she holds herself - she has very good posture and always walks with a purpose.  Don't be afraid to swing your hips a little when you walk and I always held my hand up daintily.

Good luck and may the odds be ever in your favor!

Oh, and here are some pictures of Effie wandering around the Con.

Effie Trinket and the Batmobile.

Effie Trinket and Chewbacca.  Because, why not?

Effie Trinket with life-size Lego Gandalf and Bilbo.

Comments