Cute Amigurumi Cat

While wandering Pinterest, I found a link to an adorable crocheted panda ornament.  I decided to try to make it, but I changed a couple things to make it a cat.

Here is what I needed:

Yarn, poly-fill, embroidery floss, buttons, crochet hook, scissors, cardstock, pen, and a bottle of wine (optional).
There wasn't an actual pattern on the blog, just pictures so I started with a magic circle and crocheting a flat circle with single crochets:


When it got to the width I wanted I worked up the sides like a hacky-sack:


Then I stuffed it with the poly-fill and gradually decreased it until I closed it off and it looked like a ball:


I couldn't find a good pattern for pointy cat ears so I made my own: Chain 5, sc into 2nd chain from hook, tc in next stitch, sc in next stitch, slip stitch in next stitch, tie off.  I made the tail by chaining 12 and doing a sc in each stitch.  The collar is just a chain and I made a tag with a cut out piece of cardstock.

The eyes are buttons I sewed on with embroidery floss.  I also made the nose, mouth, and whiskers with the embroidery floss.  Here it is:


Not perfect, but still cute.

By the numbers:
Time: 3 hours (would have been less, but I had to remind myself how to crochet with some YouTube videos)
Yarn: $2.49 (plus I used less than half the skein, so I could easily make another kitty)
Embroidery Floss: $0.35
Poly-Fill: $4.99 (and the bag still feels full, maybe my next project will be a pillow)
Buttons: $0.04 (they were in a multi-pack of 120)
Total cost for project: $7.87 (but I could easily make at least 2 more with the supplies I bought.)



Comments

  1. Love, love, LOVE this blog, Michelle! I, too, love crafts and will turn you on to those I find or do myself that I think are worth sharing. Made pajama pants for my whole family and a skirt for Jenna for Christmas! Happy New Year! Great to see you last night. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment