Week One

Each week I am going to post how each of my New Year's Goals are coming along to keep me honest.  Here is the run down of my first week:

Culture
Goal: Do one cultural thing a week
Actual: Didn't get much of a chance with the holiday, but I did go to the Glendale Galleria and an interesting SoCal cultural fact about this mall is that it was built based on a design by the science fiction writer, Ray Bradbury.  Yeah, I know that is a bit of a stretch.

Craftiness
Goal: Make one craft a week.
Actual: I made this adorable cat ornament and reminded myself how to crochet by making a bag for my hooks and these two berets:

Anyone need a beret?  I am rocking them right now.
Writing
Goal: Write 10 pages
Actual: 4 pages; I got distracted by relearning how to crochet and watching the entire Star Wars Saga on Blu-Ray.  Will do better next week.

Exercise
Goal: 4 times
Actual: Does walking around the mall, Target, and Michael's looking for sales count?  Ugh, I guess it's true if you really don't want to do something you will find an excuse.

Eating Better
Goal: Home cook three dinners a week.
Actual: Cooked 2 and had the leftovers for the rest of the week.  Here are the meals I made:
  1. Balsamic chicken.  Super easy!  Throw boneless, skinless chicken breasts into a ziplock bag.  Toss in a tbsp of olive oil, 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar, a handful of rosemary (dried or fresh works), salt and pepper.  Massage it around and let sit while your oven heats up to 350 degrees.  Bake for 30 minute.  Served it with some rice and a salad.  Total cost: $8 for 4 servings Time: 40 minutes
  2. Sausage with beans in tomato sauce.  Bake sausages (I used mild Italian) at 350 for 20 minutes, turning them once.  While that's happening saute onions and garlic til soft, throw in two cans of cannelini beans drained and one can of diced tomatoes (not drained).  Spice it however you want, I went with Italian flavors like basil and oregano.  Once the sausages are done let them rest for a few minutes, slice, and add them to your pan.  I served it with roasted squash.  Dice up a bunch of winter squash (I added a sweet potato, too) toss with one tbsp of olive oil and 2 tbsp of dried herbs.  I used Trader Joe's 21 Season Salute.  Lay out in a pan and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Total cost: $10 for 6 servings Time: 40 minutes
The longer you cook the better it tastes.

So, week one wasn't perfect, but it's a start.


Comments