Not-Exactly-Brunswick Stew

Tonight I decided to make Brunswick Stew for dinner.  This is a staple in the south and my sister requested it about a week ago.

Now before any of you other Georgians yell at me: Yes, I know Brunswick stew is supposed to have okra and shredded chicken in it.  I don't like okra and didn't feel like having chicken.  Plus, since I was only feeding three people having three different types of meat in one stew seemed a bit over the top.  (And I really wasn't in the mood to cook the chicken for 45 minutes just so I could shred it.) 

I'd never made it before, so I looked over the millions of recipes on the internet and decided to cobble together my own.  My main inspiration was the recipe called Get a Husband Brunswick Stew (because a. apparently all southern women are cooking stuff just so they can get a husband and b. all southern men want a woman who can cook Brunswick Stew.)  This what my version of Brunswick Stew looked like.
Not-Exactly-Brunswick Stew with roasted potatoes
How I made it:

Ingredients

Stewing Pork and Beef (about a pound each), patted dry
1 Onion, diced
2 Celery stalks, diced
Olive Oil
1 can Crushed Tomatoes
1/2 cup Hickory BBQ Sauce (I picked Famous Dave's Rich and Sassy sauce)
1/2 cup Ketchup
1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar (or whatever you have in the house)
1/4 Worcestershire Sauce
1 can Beef Broth
2 cups Water
1 Green Bell Pepper
2 cans Creamed Corn
1 can Whole Kernel Corn, drained
1 bag Frozen Lima Beans

In a large hot saute pan, brown the pork and beef in 2 tablespoons of olive oil (because Chef Anne Burrell says brown food is good food.)  It's important that you pat the meat dry first because water is the enemy to browning.

While that's happening saute the onions and celery in a bit of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat until they are caramelized.  Once the meat is brown add it to the onions and celery.  Then add the crushed tomatoes with liquid, BBQ sauce, ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, beef broth, and water.  Bring it to a boil and reduce heat to medium.  Add whole bell pepper.  Cook partially covered, stirring occasionally for two hours, or until thickened.

Add the creamed corn, corn, and lima beans.  Cook for another hour.  Remove bell pepper.  Salt and pepper to taste.

Total Cost: $20 (but it serves a small army)
Total Time: 30 minutes active; 3 hours inactive

Comments