Oscar Party Madness

Every year we decide to have people over to watch the Oscars and every year I promise to not try to do too much and just enjoy it.  But, as always I decided to take on more than I should have.  I chose to make an appetizer to represent each of the Best Picture nominees.  Remember when there were only 5 nominees in this category, yeah, I wish that were still true.

Here is what I came up with:

Tree of Life: Bacon Wrapped Goat Cheese Stuffed Dates
Confusing and maybe it's good, you're just not sure.
Stuff dates with goat cheese wrap them with bacon.  I cut each strip into quarters and held them into place with a toothpick.  Lined them up on a baking sheet and baked them at 375 degrees for 15 minutes turning them once.  Yummy!

The Help: Minny's Chocolate Pie
Just Don't Ask What's in It
I used this recipe from the baker from the movie. It didn't look very pretty, but it was very rich and tasty.

The Descendants: Hawaiian Meatballs
Nothing says dysfunctional family like Crockpot meatballs.
The sauce from this recipe was very yummy.  I just tossed frozen meatballs in the Crockpot on top of some sliced onions and covered it with the sauce.  Cooked it on low for a couple hours.

The Artist: Cheesy Black Bean Dip
Black and white dip.
It was a bit bland, but at least it was black and white.  

Moneyball: Pigs in a Blanket
Not exactly ballpark franks.
Easiest and always the most popular appetizer.  I put a bit of Dijon mustard on each before I roll them so they are extra yummy.

Midnight in Paris: Endive Salad
Endive Salad was one of Hemingway's favorite foods.
Take the top leaves off of the endives and arrange them prettily on the plate.  Chop the remainder of the leaves and add crumbled blue cheese and crushed candied pecans.  Toss with a vinaigrette. (I made mine with white balsamic and olive oil.)

War Horse: Pork and Beans
Cause Pork and Beans are something soldiers eat?

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close: Pizza Rolls
Very creepy kid.
I used the pizza dough from Trader Joe's rolled it out, spread Trader Joe's marinara sauce over it, sprinkled mozzarella cheese and chopped pepperonis.  Rolled it like a jelly roll and cut into small strips.  Lay them out on a baking sheet (give em room) and bake at 350 for 15 minutes.  Iserved with extra marinara on the side.

Hugo: Pommes Frites

I don't have a picture, but I figured it fit since that is French for French Fries.  I made some sauces to go along with the fries.

Curry Mayonnaise
1/2 cup Mayo
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp red pepper

Horseradish Mayonnaise
1/2 cup Mayo
3 tbsp prepared horseradish
pepper

Dijon Mayonnaise
1/2 cup Mayo
3 tbsp Dijon mustard
pepper


Comments

  1. Woweeee!!! Gonna def try some o' these babies! SO creative! I am way impressed. May steal this idea next year! Thanks for all the recipes! My favorite? Tree of Life (the app, not the movie - haven't seen it yet!) :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment