1930's Dress-Up

I am currently working on a scene from "Golden Boy" by Clifford Odets for one of my acting classes, which means I get to have fun getting all done up 1930's style.

All dressed up for the 1930's
Okay, so the phone is a little anachronistic, but the dress is actual vintage.  For class, I wrapped my hair into a Gibson Roll

I did try to curl my hair using sock curls.  It turned out nice, but for the era my hair is just too long to leave down.  Short hair was very popular in the 30's.

Here is how the sock curls turned out:
Sock curls after it was brushed out.
I used 6 trouser socks to do this.  I wrapped one one either side and then four down the middle.
Sock Curls
I slept in them (it was a bit uncomfortable.)  In the morning, it looked very similar to pin curls except a bit larger curls.  When I first took them out this is how I looked:
Sock curls first taken out.
Then I ran my fingers through my hair to loosen the curls.  I think this could be a nice look with a little styling.
Sock Curls loosened
Then I used a wire brush to get the more sculpted wavy look.

For my makeup, I started with a pale base foundation.  They loved the ivory skin look.  I used a red lipstick as blush.  For my eyes, I lined the top lid with black liner, used blue eye shadow (very popular with blonds in the 30's), and put mascara only on the top lashes. In the 30's, the lower lashes and lids were generally left bare.  A little powder and some brick red lipstick and I was done!

Comments