Devil's Trap Doormat from Supernatural

It's not much of a secret that I've been obsessing over "Supernatural" lately.  I figured Halloween would be a good time to make some Winchester brother inspired decorations.  Here is my attempt at a Devil's Trap (on a doormat).  

Devil's Trap Doormat
Not too bad for a first try and has the bonus of demon's not being able to enter into my house.  So, here's how I put it together.

Supplies:
A doormat: $4.99 at Target
Acrylic Outdoor Paint: $1.39 at Michael's
Paint Brush: $.59 at Michael's
Chalk: $1 at Michael's
Ruler

The Supplies

I started by using the ruler and chalk to draw a circle because I am completely incapable of free handing one.

Look, I used MATH to find the radius!
You can find lots of images of the Devil's Trap on Google images and I decided to go with a simpler version.  (The one with the scorpion in the middle looks awesome, but my drawing skills aren't quite there.)  I drew the star using the ruler and printed a 36 degree angle off the internet to use as a stencil for the points.  Then I hand drew the symbols with chalk so when I messed up I could erase it.

The Devil's Trap in chalk
Once I got the chalk drawing how I liked it, I painted it over with the red paint.  I had to do three coats; it dries pretty dark.

Now, we'll see how well the paint lasts with lots of foot traffic and if any of my friends (or possibly my cat) are demons.

Comments