Keep a Toddler Entertained with Magic Beans!

Okay, so, they aren't "magic beans" so much as dried lentils in a sensory box. Which is a fancy way of saying I filled a small bin with a couple of bags of dried lentils and let the Hulk have at it with various cups and funnels.

This miracle kept the Hulk entertained for a hour. YES, AN HOUR!

The funnel was his favorite part.
It is super easy to put together. I grabbed a bin at the dollar store, found a couple of bags of dried lentils in the back of my cabinet (from some enthusiastic shopping trip where I was going to make super healthy food and then didn't), and an old set of measuring cups. 

He liked pouring, mixing, and eventually took his socks off and stuck his toes in it like sand. I guess we need to take trip the beach once his foot heals, especially since we live so close to the beach and haven't gone in over a year (I know, I know, we're terrible.)


There were a couple pitfalls with this one, mostly to do with clean up. A lot of the lentils ended up outside the bin, at one point Hulk threw a handful across the room, and when we went to put his sock back on I discovered it was full of lentils.  I tried to make a game of cleaning up. This, of course, didn't work and was mostly just me telling him that it was fun to pick up the lentils while I did it and he did other things.  But if you are okay with buying more you could always just vacuum them up and call it a day. I have a feeling I will be finding lentils hidden in various places for a while.

Yeah, the lentils look a lot like our cat food so the kitten was very interested.
LENTIL SENSORY BOX
Expense: $3
Effort: 3 out of 5 (for clean up)
Toddler Approved: 5 out of 5
Hulk's Age: 2.5 years

Comments