Find my Style or Accept Chaos?


I'm a planner. I can't go to Target without a list that is laid out in order of how I will pick things up in the store. God forbid they change the store layout, I might have a panic attack in the cat food aisle. I say this to show that I don't do well with chaos. Not being certain what my artistic style is seems chaotic to me and yet here I am uncertain how to define my artistic style.

I love playing around with different mediums and techniques. Some days I only want to paint textured squares like this very purple painting. Other days I spend hours working on the details of whale. I find detail work difficult and tedious and when I get to that part of a realistic painting I have to fight the urge to throw the whole thing out. But, finding something hard to do doesn't necessarily mean it is outside the realm of my artistic style, it just means I need to practice it more.

As I continue down this art journey, I do think my style is coming more into focus. I know I feel most comfortable painting with watercolors. I enjoy painting loosely but pieces I am most proud of are not so abstract. The palette I am drawn to tends to be earthy and muted - I always throw a touch of green into the bright pink to mute it down. In the end I think artistic style is a journey without an end point and sometimes I need to accept the chaos.

Comments